[ale] USB flash drive questions

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 21 11:48:33 EST 2004

Kenneth W Cochran wrote:

>Hello:
>
>I have some questions about the little USB flash drives...
>
>Is there a FAQ or some documentation on them?
>
>Apparently they come setup for a FAT32 filesystem - can I format
>them for other filesystems (e.g. linux-ext2, BSD UFS/UFS2, MS
>NTFS) & expect them to work reliably?

Yes, they appear as scsi devices under linux and you can partition and
format them to you hearts desire.

>How resistant are they to Bad Things such as physical shock,
>electromagnetic fields, security scanners of various types and
>airport/hospital x-rays?

I can vouge for everything except for hospital x-rays.  Being solid
state allows it to be very resistant to most things.
You did not mention electrostatic discharge, but that's probably the
most dangerous thing.  But you would have to develop one
hell of a charge to zap on of those things.

>Any favorite/least-favorite brands/models or recommendations as
>to which one(s) to seek/avoid?
>
>Thanks,

They are pretty much all the same.  I've had a fuji for almost 2 years
now.  Works well.  Has a long snout so it doesn't interfare with other
USB peripherals.