[ale] [OT] 7805 Voltage Regulator?

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 21 11:36:14 EST 2004

Christopher Bergeron wrote:

> Does anyone know of a Surface Mount (SMT) component that's roughly
> equivalent to a 7805 voltage regulator?
>
> Sorry for the OT post, but it's Linux related in a way - I just can't
> say how yet.
>
> Thanks!
> -CB

What can't you just lay the 7805 flat? If you are making a custom board
perhaps a spread of copper on both sides of the board for some heat sinking.
Perhaps these might suit your purpose better:

L78L05ACD, SO-8 case,   .1 amp max current.  around $.35 each
L7805CD2T, TO-263 case,  1 amp max current  around $.57 each

These and a bunch of other goodies can be found at www.mouser.com
One of the voltage regulator pages:
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/620/257.pdf