[ale] XFS multi-mount

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Mon Dec 20 11:59:58 EST 2004

OK, so I've got a RAID device that is hosting all the images for an image
repository site I manage.

I set it up with XFS b/c I didn't even want to think about the fsck on a
pair of 1T partitions !!!

The plan was to hook the XFS up RW on one machine (admin) and then RO on
the others.  That part works OK.  My problem comes in with when the admin
server makes an update/adds new files/etc ... The RO systems don't see it.

In fact, I can't seem to get them to see it unless I umount the XFS from
ALL servers, so that it is completely unmounted, then remount it.  Is
there an option or setting I'm missing?  Some tool I can run that says "Go
forth, and re-read the XFS data from the drive. Honest, it's more
relevant" ?

I'd rather not add the overhead of an NFS solution, and my boss won't be
particularly happy to hear about the forced outage of the system after
pushing so much for a 24/7 reliable always available system design from me
:/

--attriel