[ale] Question on Current Red Hat Update Policies

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 19 21:15:28 EST 2004

I agree with Bob on recommending SuSE.  I've never had a box get screwed
up by updates from SuSE but have with RHEL.  Also, there is white box
linux that is RHEL without the Redhat proprietary stuff.  Then you can
install apt and use dag's repository and kde-redhat to update.  If your
project requires "quality support" at a high level, then I'd compensate
for the lessened code review on FC3 by using test server and client
boxes to apply updates before rolling out to production.  I've been
using my own workstation as a test box for updates from RedHat just in
case of a problem(it's a Dell RHEL3 box).  I have more confidence in
SuSE than in Redhat for quality patching.  It may be that Redhat tries
to support more bleeding edge hardware and SuSE waits around for the
next major release for that, I don't know.  I haven't forgotten the
glibc update that hosed my box last year.  I was lucky to get it working
without losing the filesystem and never want to repeat that scenario.
Dow