[ale] ssh for automated management

Jonathan Glass jonathan.glass at oit.gatech.edu
Fri Dec 17 12:20:21 EST 2004

Quoting David Corbin <dcorbin at machturtle.com>:

> We are considering using ssh as part of a solution for automated remote
> managment of 10000+ node network, distributed at over 500 sites.  The nodes
> being managed are NOT "standard desktop machines" (in terms of software
> etc.), but more like "appliances".
>
> Ideally all the management would be done from one machine.
>
> Anyone want to suggest any likely problems we might encounter, scale-wize?
>
> Thanks
> David

1) Threading/multiple instances of ssh being kicked off simultaneously.
2) Bandwidth usage by the mgt console
3) Verifying all SSH fingerprints
4) Distributing  your SSH keys to all the nodes for password-less authentication
5) Keeping the mgt machine REALLY freakin secure!
6) Using scripts/programs to issue commands uniformly (ties back to #1)

HTH

--
Jonathan Glass
OIT - Information Security