[ale] need working dial up

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Fri Dec 17 10:22:39 EST 2004

On Dec 17, 2004, at 6:59 AM, Geoffrey wrote:

> Mark Wright wrote:
>> I have put a little more time in on the problem tonight.  I created
>> /var/log/ppp and put local2 and daemon in /etc/sysllog.conf and
>> pointed them both to /var/log/ppp.  Now I can do tail -f /vat/log/ppp
>> in a terminal window and watch the communication log live.
>> Thats all exciting but I haven't really learned anything new except
>> what I found in an excellent write up by W.G. Unruh.  He clarified
>> some of the messages I am seeing.
>> The "connect: ppp0  <  - -  >  /dev/ttyS0" message means I have a ppp
>> connection between the local and remote ppp hosts/client.  The next
>> line I get is "sent   [ LCP  ConfReq  xx=xxxxx]".   This means my PC
>> is trying to make the ISP send authentication to me!   And I can't
>> make it quit.  An ISP is not going to answer any request like this.
>> I have monkeyed with /etc/ppp/options where all this is kept and I
>> have changed the LCP request that is going out to nearly nothing but
>> I can't get it to go away.  The ISP is never going to answer any "LCP
>> ConfReq" so changing it is nice but I need to kill it.  I have to get
>> past this so I can keep the connection up.  Am I way off the path
>> here?  This shouldn't be so hard.
>
> add 'noauth' to your options file

Its in there.  I commented out the auth option altogether and has no
effect.  The text with the auth comment says that you should use the
call option to keep authorization from happening with a specific user
and not turn auth off completely.  I have tried all three ways, auth,
noauth and #auth to no avail.