[ale] need working dial up

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Thu Dec 16 21:10:59 EST 2004

On Dec 16, 2004, at 5:07 PM, Calvin Harrigan wrote:

> William Bagwell wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 16 December 2004 03:33 pm, Mark Wright wrote:
>>

>>> Is any one using a Linux machine with a modem.   I am willing to buy
>>> an
>>> internal or another external or really anything that will make it
>>> work.
>>>

>> AFAIK all old ISA slot and externals work.  Only an occasional bit of
>> mucking around in KPPP if it "thinks" it has found it on the wrong
>> port.
>>
>> There are a few PCI modens which are *supposed* to work... Never had
>> a bit of luck with any of them.
>>
>> Currently using a USR 5686 external through SmoothWall. Before SW I
>> did all configuration directly in KPPP. Found that any done during
>> install or through a "Wizard" was a waste of time.
>> Are you using the correct user name and password for her ISP? Looks
>> like you are conecting then getting kicked off.
>>
> Now that you mention the correct username/password combo, I think
> earthlink uses some goofy way of entering those.  You either have to
> prepend or append something to the username before it will let you
> login using a standard dialer.  The details elude me right now,
> haven't had earthlink for couple years.
>
> Yes, I know prepend isn't a real word...  :-/
>
> Calvin...
That sounds reasonable considering all I have tried.  I used Earthlink
about five years ago but it was with a Mac and Earthlink had there
Total access program that would set up everything for you.  I need to
dig that old Mac out of the garage and see if any of "total access" is
script I might understand.  I am still holding out hope that someone
out there has made this work before.

Thanks,
Mark