[ale] OT BS DSL/DNS

linux linux at jtholmes.com
Thu Dec 16 11:16:50 EST 2004

Here is what Bell South DSL (I have supposedly the Highest Speed option)
returns for a dhcp request

search launchmodem.com
nameserver 205.152.37.23
nameserver 205.152.144.23

Is it possible there is something wrong  with either of thes nameservers
that someone else has noticed lately.

I crank up ethereal and sometimes the  AAAA query response can take 10
to 20 seconds,to return to
my machine,  then once http
download does start  my system goes back to the DNS servers possibly 2-3
times to get the same info or
similare info. During these retries it may come up with  Host
Unreachable (in the ethereal trace that is)
icmp error just a host of junk.
Sometimes it goes to  the  144.23 address and the  37.23 addr will
return the response.

I can post a small trace if someone is willing to help me work it out.
I understand a lot of what is
going on but the  DNS Response taking  3-10 seconds is a little
unbelievable.  I only appear to have
this DNS problem at Home, not on the road and not at Bell South Sites I
work at.

I did get to BS 2nd Level Support today and they put in a request for
someone to call me from
network whatever so that group can view the incomfing  DNS request to
their routers associated
with my DSL line and can see where the respone is getting tied up at.

The same behavior is exihibited whether I connect Directly to the Westel
2200 modem or go thru
a Linksys WRT54G  SW Version  v2.00.8 then thru the Wintel.

For example while writing this post I cranked up ethereal and browsed to
www.brownco3.com
start to finish it took  about 53 seconds before the page displayed
etc. etc. etc.
thanks in advance for any help
jt