[ale] cdrecording problems

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 14 19:34:13 EST 2004

Geoffrey wrote:

> Jim Lynch wrote:
>
>> What version of Linux and what distro?  There are some strange things
>> going on with kernel 2.6.x.  I had to actually put the device name in
>> the -dev option.
>

> Running 2.6.8 here and k3b fires up cdrecord as follows:
>
> cdrecord dev=/dev/hdd ....
>
> Also, the dev and speed options don't have a leading '-'  I don't know
> if that makes a difference as I've not tried it, but I know the
> following works:
>
> cdrecord dev=/dev/hdd speed=12
>
> And the man page reflects these are the proper options for cdrecord.

I have had cd/dvd burning issues with kernel 2.6.8, had to drop back to
2.6.7.  Can you burn as root?  Yeah I know, dangerous, but...
Read:
http://lwn.net/Articles/98379/

 From the k3b website:
http://k3b.plainblack.com/index.pl/news2

  *Do not use Kernel 2.6.8*

* *

*A patch that was introduced into the kernel shortly before the 2.6.8
release makes K3b and also the dvd+rw-tools unusable on Linux (unless
run as root but that is not recommended). The very important GET
CONFIGURATION MMC command is rejected by the kernel for reasons I cannot
see and writing commands like MODE SELECT also fail (K3b cannot detect
CD writers without it) even when the device is opened O_RDWR. Until this
issue has been solved I strongly recommend to stick to kernel version
2.6.7. *

**Update:* The kernel guys are currently fixing the problem so the next
kernel release should work again. :) *

**Update 2:* The problem is NOT fixed in 2.6.8.1 *

**Update 3:* Be aware that kernel 2.6.8 also contains the memory leak
which makes it impossible to write audio cds, even as root.*