[ale] Debian 2.6.8/Plextor dvd help please

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Mon Dec 13 12:33:33 EST 2004

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 02:22:43PM -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 12:02:08PM -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:
>
> The ide connectors had not been used since this was an all scsi system
> until I decided to upgrade to the the Plextor PX-712A. I have tried it
> on both the primary and secondary connectors with different cables. It
> is always correctly identified by the bios. Put the Plextor in my
> girlfriends computer running XP on an older motherboard and it works
> correctly.
>
> The cdrom or dvd drive is never seen by the kernel when booting. It does
> load drivers for the ide and cdrom however. I put her plain ide cdrom in
> my computer as a secondary master by itself and get the same results as
> the Plextor.....nothing. It is also correctly identified by the bios.
>
> I have tried setting idebus=66, noapic and acpi=off for kernel
> parameters with no change in the outcome. If the ide interface is bad on
> the board, then why does it identify the drive correctly? Googling has
> not turned up anybody having ide problems with this board. Any more
> ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Okay a minor update here. Someone had mentioned booting the system with
a Knopix cd to see if that worked. I don't have that however I do have a
Red Hat 7.3 set. The system does boot and read the install cd just fine.
It is identified as hdc. So to me this means an issue with something
being loaded or not loaded under kernel 2.6.8 on this box. What all
modules should I see loaded for the ide system of this Asus A7N8X-X?

Thanks,

Jim Seymour