[ale] USB hot-unplug and Plextor DVD+-RW

Joe Bayes jbayes at spoo.mminternet.com
Sun Dec 12 13:16:20 EST 2004

Hi folks,

I have a new Plextor PX-708UF2 USB DVD+-RW, that connects via hi-speed
USB. When I plug it in, everything seems to work great: lsusb lists
the drive, and I can stick a DVD in there and mount it just
fine. However:

1) When I unplug the drive, it horks up my USB:

spoo:/home/jbayes# lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

...and it just hangs there forever. If I plug the drive back in, I can
no longer mount a disk. Is there something I'm supposed to be doing
before unplugging the drive (besides unmounting the disk)? Is
hot-unplug supported, or just hot-plug? (I can't find anything
suggesting either that it is or it isn't.) Is there a way to reset the
USB, short of a reboot?

Unplugging my USB webcam doesn't seem to upset the USB at all.

2) When I burn a DVD, the burning process seems to go well. There are
no errors, it takes about as long as I would expect, and if I take the
DVD out and look at it the surface has changed color. But if I try
to mount the newly burned DVD, the kernel claims it's not an ISO9660
filesystem.

My Windows box won't read the newly burned coaster either (though the
software that came with the drive does have a non-grayed out button to
finalize the disk, which does nothing when I click it.) But the drive
reads and writes DVDs on the Windows box just fine.

Am I doing something wrong? Did I inadvertently buy an unsupported
drive?

Any ideas are appreciated. Moving files over to the Windows box to
burn them grates at my soul.

Thanks a bunch,

Joe

System details:

I'm burning the DVD with:
growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=1 -Z /dev/scd0 -r -J file*

This is on a FC3 system, kernel 2.6.9, dvd+rw-tools-5.21.4.10.8-2,
mkisofs-2.01.1-5.

Joe Bayes -- jbayes at spoo.mminternet.com