[ale] Courier-IMAP problems

Ryan Williams ryan at jimmyether.com
Thu Dec 9 13:47:29 EST 2004

Are there any Courier-IMAP and Qmail experts here that could possibly
help me out? I'm having a problem with my server with regards to IMAP
accounts. I've tried several different email clients on several
different platforms, and the problem is pretty much the same with all of
them. I have about 20 or so directories that mail gets filtered to. I
can log in and download the headers, and even browse through a couple of
directories. But after looking into two or three directories, the client
hangs up when I try to move to another folder (in Thunderbird is says
"Connecting to mail.myserver.com" but doesn't do anything while other
clients will say they lost the connection). I also have my sent mail set
to be saved to the server, and it often hangs up when copying the
message to the server. Weird thing is that I can restart my email client
and it will work fine again for a while and then the problem will start
all over again.

Which logs should I be looking into for this? My var/log/maillog is
empty. var/log/messages is chock full of messages like this:

Dec  6 14:13:32 server1 authpsa: IMAP connect from @ [x.x.x.x]
Dec  6 14:14:17 server1 last message repeated 5 times
Dec  6 14:15:32 server1 last message repeated 8 times
Dec  6 14:16:33 server1 last message repeated 7 times
Dec  6 14:17:35 server1 last message repeated 10 times

Any suggestions?

The server is running RedHat 9 and using Plesk v7.0.1 server management
software. I haven't been able to find anything remotely related to this
issue in the Plesk forums, and trying to find help for Courier-IMAP with
this issue is few and far between.

Thanks!

Ryan