[ale] Debian 2.6.8/Plextor dvd help please

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Thu Dec 9 04:57:19 EST 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 03:49:18PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:

> Based on what I see below, I'm beginning to think the drive is bad, or
> your ide interface is bad, or it's turned off in the bios.  Did you say
> the bios sees the drive?  Does it properly identify it?

Thanks Geoffrey,

I can see the drive identified while detecting the ide system as:

Secondary Master: Plextor DVDR	PX-712A 1.03

And later on in the bios messages as:

Secondary Master	DVD-RW, ATA33

Plextor does have a self test program in the firmware I was going to try
when I get a chance. I think that only tests its writing capability
though. Still these are the only references in /var/log/messages to the
ide system while it is booting:

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide

Later,

Jim Seymour