[ale] Ethernet bandwidth choker

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 8 07:24:21 EST 2004

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 06:45, David Corbin wrote:
> I need a device that I can use to simulate low-bandwidth between two
> ethernet machines.  Ideally,  the box would have some limited interface to
> enter in  a desired bandwidth to simulate.  Something that works in
> increments of 64kbs would be fine.
>
> 1) Is there a correct name for such a product.
> 2) Any recommendations?
>
> David

If you want to simulate a wide area network, 2 Cisco 25xx series routers with
a back-to-back serial cable will do the trick. You set clocking on one
interface, and can go in increments up to about 3 megs or so. You'd have a
subnet for the Ethernet connection on one router, a separate subnet for your
WAN connection, and a third subnet for the ethernet segment on the far end.

I do that now for lab work, and have 5 Cisco's emulating leased line
connection and frame relay. Works like a charm. There's probably cheaper ways
of doing it, though.
Bruce