[ale] Laptops and Linux

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Tue Dec 7 19:45:20 EST 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 01:05:09PM -0500, andrew mcmackin wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 10:03, mmillard1 at comcast.net wrote:
> > I know this is old hat now. I ran Mandrake for a year on my Thinkpad
> > 330 and it was awesome with a few hitches here and there.

> > I'm going to install Linux on a Satalite now ( 1.1 Ghz, 512 Meg Ram )
> > and I'm currious what options are out there now that lend themselves
> > well to using Laptops and wireless?

> SLACKWARE works great on laptops at the installfest we put slack on a P2
> with 64 mb of ram and it ran KDE 3.2 very well i was suprised! give it a
> shot
I'll second that.  Even ancient Slackware worked fine on the Toshiba
Satellite (sic).  It was trivial to get working on my IBM Thinkpad
(though I've not bothered to get sound or suspend configured).

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]

"Microsoft: Unsafe at any clock speed!"