[ale] WPS Format documents

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 7 17:40:38 EST 2004

> From: Richard <ratcheson at earthlink.net>
> Bruce, you're not alone.  I just googled for .wps docs and got a lot of
> hits with people complaing of the same thing!  One sage suggested this:
>
> Anyway, microsoft has a converter called wp6rtf.exe. You
> can find it at this link.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
> FamilyID=b9e11e83-f51b-4977-b572-
> 8c042df802c1&DisplayLang=en
>
> or http://tinyurl.com/mj73
>
> It looks like they did change the format when they did XP.  To bad.  I did
> see a converter selling for 1000 Pounds +.  guess in England they have a
> lot of problems and can pay dearly for their mistakes.
>
> Richard

That did the trick! I installed it, no joy. Then I thought for a few seconds, and installed an old copy of Microsoft Works 4.5 on a dual-boot SuSE 91 Pro/Win98SE PC that I have. After installing Works, I installed the converter you noted above. Now we can open and edit the files. Hmmmm, I'll remind my son to save in RTF format so we don't run into this the next time.

Now to work on fixing the laptop. It's on it's second motherboard, and now has a cracked case and a line in the screen. I might "fix" it with carpentry tools. Thanks everyone on the list for your help. I appreciate it.

So - I tried OpenOffice, KWord, AbiWord, MS Word 97, MS Word 2K, Corel WordPerfect 9 (and notepad and wordpad and word viewer 97 for kicks). MS Works 4.5 with the converter did the trick.