[ale] QOS (traffic shaping) config for Vonage/IPCOP?

Steve Tynor stevejunk at iintiip.com
Tue Dec 7 16:00:11 EST 2004

I have two vonage modems behind an IPCOP 1.4.1  firewall - I'd like to
configure QOS / traffic shaping to prevent the VOIP from getting drowned
out by FTP uploads and the like.

I'd like to either define a rule applying to all traffic to/from the
VOIP modem's IP address or a rule applying to all UDP traffic in port
range 10000..20000.

Unfortunately, the IPCOP GUI does not support IP-based or port-range
based shaping rules.

>From some googling, it looks like ipcop is using wondershaper under the
covers; perhaps I could add some magic juju with the "tc" command to
rc.local?  Does anyone have a similar setup and would care to share some
"tc" commands I could cut/paste into my box?

[I realize I could daisy chain the vonage modems outside the firewall
and let them manage their own QOS, but I'd rather have them inside if
IPCOP can be so configured - putting the vonage modems outside the
firewall complicates dyndns configuration since the firewall ends up
with a "private" address rather than the public one that needs to be
published to dyndns.org.]

Thanks!

Steve
stevejunk at iintiip.com