[ale] Laptops and Linux

james at sumners.ath.cx james at sumners.ath.cx
Tue Dec 7 14:03:45 EST 2004

SuSE 9.1 Personal drove me nuts when I loaded it on my laptop. It hardly
ever used the right driver for my wirless card and I could not figure
out how to force it to use a specific one. When it did decide to use the
right driver it would randomly drop the default gateway route.

That being said, 9.1 Personal is what my Grandfather uses on his
desktop. I have found that it is perfect for his use and is not too
difficult for me to maintain; though I do get frustrated with the RPM
system. I loaded SuSE over Debian because Debian changes too much
between releases and was really confusing my Grandfather.

I really hope the upgrade to 9.2 will be smooth when they release the
Personal edition.

--
James Sumners
http://ug.dyndns.org/~jsumners/

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."

CH:D 59