[ale] Linux compatible ethernet quad card?

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Fri Dec 3 16:32:38 EST 2004

>Subject: Re: [ale] Linux compatible ethernet quad card?
>From: Stephan Uphoff <ups at tree.com>
>To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
>Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:16:56 -0500
>
>On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 22:43, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.suse.com/en/business/certifications/certified_hardware/dlink/dfe580tx/index.html
>>
>> 	Yeah, I'm using the D-Link DFE-580 in several units.  Cheap (cheaper
>> than some single port cards) and they work like a charm.  Based on the
>> Tulip chipset IIRC.  I would buy more of the same as need arises.
>
>Can you still buy the card?
>I remember looking for it a few years ago without success.

The DFE-570TX used 4 Intel (nee DEC) 21143 Ethernet chips,
e.g. tulup driver (I use that card now).  It was superceded
by the DFE-580TX, which used something else, IIRC "Sundance
Technologies."  According to driver docs in FreeBSD, it was
a 3Com clone of some kind.

According to D-Link's website and to my talking with their
tech support earlier this year, both cards are now out out
of production.

AFAIK the only multiport Ethernet cards now made are Intel,
in 2 & 4-port versions.  They're both GigE & kinda pricey but
appear to be high quality.

-kc