[ale] Q: IP-based remote On/Off suggestions?

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Dec 3 12:04:49 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 11:46, John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> I'm getting around to an auto-reboot for my DSL modem. I know lots of
> folks use the X-10[?] power-line-modem products and 'bottle rocket', but
> since I _have_ a 10baseT hub sitting right there I wondered if any of you
> hackers had suggestions for turning a small power supply ON and OFF with
> some simple IP-connected gadget?

You can purchase IP manageable power strips from APC.  THey'll run a
couple of hundred dollars.  Or you can build a device that uses the
serial port or parallel port to control a relay that will cycle power on
an outlet.  Bulding a serially controlled device would be easier then IP
based one.  On the serial contol you don't even need a  PIC.  Simply by
raising DTR you could turn off power and then by dropping it turn it
on.  This device is stateless.  Turning off the linux box that control
it will effect how it behaves.

X10 is still a good solution.