[ale] OT: Driving in snow...

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Dec 2 11:05:37 EST 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Mike Murphy wrote:

> tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
>
> > Boston is one location where having somebody else drive is generally a
> > good idea in terms of cost effectiveness, especially within the 495(?)
> > outerbelt. Navigation while driving in that city is a _major_ challenge,
> > with far too many ways to get messed up even for the locals. The city was
> > laid out by drunk cattle nearly 400 years ago, and the road net shows all
> > the qualities you would expect from such a planning commission.
> >
> > Like many other cities and situations, go easy on yourself, don't be Mr.
> > Macho but stop and ask directions early, and check a good map first and
> > often.
> >
> > <<big snip>>
>
> Probably true. If you are actually in Boston, use the T too.
>
> This makes me yearn for my days of parking on the sidewalk in the North
> End with my Friend of the F.O.P. card on the dashboard. Also makes me
> want to go looking for my telescoping handle snow shovel...

The one time I recall being in North End, I was really glad to get out.
"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all sort of passible."

I tended to prefer a flat bladed shovel with a full wooden handle. I would
give out before the shovel would, where I tended to destroy the snow
shovel with too large a load.