[ale] OT: Driving in snow...

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Dec 2 10:46:24 EST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Bob Toxen wrote:

> I spent 10 years in the Bawston Suburbs with the worst possible snow car.
> Suggestions:
>
>   1. If you get a rental car, be sure to pay for full insurance coverage
>      so that a wreck won't affect your regular insurance.

Ok. I can buy that. Although I think there are less expensive
alternatives, given the fender bender rate of Boston it is probably a
reasonable idea.

>   2. Driving in a New England snow is far harder than the inch or so we
>      get here.  I recommend against it.  If you must, practice in an empty
>      parking lot and decide if you still want to do it.  If it's a heavy
>      snow, wait at least 3-6 hours for the snow trucks to plow and sand
>      the roads.  Plan on going about 2/3 to 1/2 of normal speed, if that.

Well, I don't find it more difficult to drive a New England snow than a
southern snow. Different, yes.

>   3. No, the rental car companies do not supply chains and probably supply
>      the cheapest tires available.

Which are perfectly adequate (IMHO) for the driver who is willing to
respect the limits of his equipment and current conditions.

>   4. If it is a severe snow, you are better off taking a taxi to the
>      bus or train station and using those to get near your people in
>      Conn. and a taxi from the bus or train station to them.  It is
>      well-worth the extra cost to avoid a wreck and possibly hurting
>      yourself or others.  In bad snows I preferred a $50 taxi ride
>      to my clients rather than a wreck.

Boston is one location where having somebody else drive is generally a
good idea in terms of cost effectiveness, especially within the 495(?)
outerbelt. Navigation while driving in that city is a _major_ challenge,
with far too many ways to get messed up even for the locals. The city was
laid out by drunk cattle nearly 400 years ago, and the road net shows all
the qualities you would expect from such a planning commission.

Like many other cities and situations, go easy on yourself, don't be Mr.
Macho but stop and ask directions early, and check a good map first and
often.

<<big snip>>