[ale] NAS: any ideas

Bob Toxen transam at cavu.com
Sun Aug 29 17:33:40 EDT 2004

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 03:26:23PM -0400, Brandon Colbert wrote:
> The company I do work for is looking to setup offsite storage; I was
> think about setting up a NAS device to backup the backup. This will
> allow the owner to bring the NAS device in plug it into a ethernet jack
> and backup the data. When the backup is complete he will be able to take
> the NAS device home or I could set the NAS to backup over the VPN to an
> offsite location.
Generally, tape backup of on-site disks is the way to go.  Tapes are
cheap and thus allow having multiple backups.  (You'll want to keep monthly,
quarterly, and annual tapes for many applications.)

Alternatively, if you want real-time backups and/or remote backups
for Disaster Recovery there are more advanced solutions.

> Do anybody have any good ideas?
Please contact me for more detailed ideas.

> What is the best inexpensive NAS device. Has anybody played with the
> Linux on the NSLU2 project.

> http://www.batbox.org/nslu2-linux.html

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]