[ale] NAS: any ideas

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Sun Aug 29 13:41:08 EDT 2004

Mhhh ... you are planning to use the NAS as a mobile staging area?

Do you need a way to push backup data from your backup clients
because you don't want to implement a pull solution for security
reasons?

If not why not use bacula or some other backup tools.

Even a linux laptop as a mobile storage archive sounds like
a better idea. ( Neither CIFS nor NFS on a NAS is build for
streaming and the laptop is build to survive regular movement)

On a last note - nothing beats a (professional) tape in reliability
and it makes offsite storage really easy.

Don't get me wrong - I love NAS - I just don't think this is the right
tool for your problem.

	Stephan