[ale] DNS Servers for Charter

Doug McNash dmcnash at charter.net
Fri Aug 27 21:36:49 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 19:22, Daquarious Jackson wrote:

> If you try pinging 24.216.51.9, I belive you'll find it's down also.

Not all live addresses return pings but nevertheless that address does
not answer DNS queries from my workstation either.  Kind of odd they
serve it up in DHCP as the primary nameserver. Using nslookup with your
girlfriends and my address ALL timeout with NO response, yet I have no
trouble resolving addresses, even ones I made up off the top of my head
that I know are not in my named or router's cache.

The only explanation I can come up with is that their router (Cisco
3900?) only answer queries from the dhcp client, my router in this case,
which is in my resolv.conf.  I am pretty sure that this has not been the
way it worked in the past.  Must be some kind of security measure.

I'm in Smyrna/Vinnings also.  Strange that your girlfriend gets
different addresses.  They must have more than one server.