[ale] Booting kernel from ide drive without bootloader

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Fri Aug 27 12:18:04 EDT 2004

Can anyone tell me the steps to boot a kernel from /dev/hda without using a bootloader like LILO or Grub?

I'd like to boot it similarly to a floppy disk.  I've backed up my MBR and partition table, and I'd like try to use rdev, but I'm hesitant.

I'm aware of the limitations of doing this.  Does anyone know how this can be done?

Also, can I boot an uncompressed kernel on x86 using this method?  My uncompressed kernel is like 3MB (I think).

Thanks in advance!
-CB