[ale] wireless lan that's not wifi?

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Aug 25 09:37:24 EDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 06:43:10AM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> So I'm talking to this guy yesterday and he tells me there's this
> wireless technology out there that can be used for networking and he
> refers to it as 'wireless lan.'  Says it's not wifi and actually has
> been around longer than wifi.  Can't be bluetooth.  So folks, anyone
> know what this magical, mysterious technology is?

<de-lurk/>

Wi-Fi is actually a marketing term created by a group of manufacturers,
technically only covering 802.11b radios, although it does encompass
802.11g due to its backwards compatibility.  They've since exteneded the
certification to the other letters of the alphabet soup.

IEEE802.11-1999 actually specified three physical layers with the 802.11
protocol stack, 2.4GHz DSSS (which was extended to 802.11b and
802.11g), 2.4GHz FH (Frequency Hopping), and even a spec for operation
over an Infrared band.

There's also the old WaveLan Aviator cards that predate the 802.11 spec
entirely, they were a competing "Standard" that didn't make the cut.
Much like USR/Rockwell's 56K modem technologies.

But I digress.  I have a stack of 2Mbps 802.11 cards lying around at the
office. including many FH cards that never really caugot on because of
their higher price and complexity.  802.11b/g's exclusive use of DSSS vs
FH pretty much signalled the end of the FH stuff.

Oh, there are also many things that operate in licensed spectrum, plus
many things that work in the 900MHz spectrum.  Think older-school
wireless ISPs, like the mostly defuncy Sprint Broadband.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy        				 ICQ: 1318344
Melbourne, FL 					 JID: pitha at myjabber.net