[ale] DNS Servers for Charter

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Aug 24 19:39:03 EDT 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:

> Anyone know the DNS server addresses for Charter.net or, optionally, can tell me how to extract
> out the DNS server address provided by DHCP under RedHat 9? I've got my network setup via this
> cable modem but they apparently don't publish the DNS addresses.

One way that probably works on many *nix systems is to look something up
with nslookup or dig command, which will tell you which nameservers it
querried. There is probably a more elegant way, but it seems to work:

twiggy:~> nslookup www.google.com
Server:  dns.atl1.speakeasy.net
Address:  216.27.175.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.google.akadns.net
Addresses:  64.233.161.104, 64.233.161.99
Aliases:  www.google.com

twiggy:~> dig www.google.com

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> www.google.com
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      www.google.com, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.google.com.         14m52s IN CNAME  www.google.akadns.net.