[ale] Troubleshooting a USB-Attached disk

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Aug 24 15:23:23 EDT 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, BruceG wrote:

> I purchased a Seagate 40Gig harddrive new in box. I also purchased a CompUSA
> USB carrier supporting 3.5" disk drives. Figured by putting the 2 together,
> I'd be in hog heaven. Didn't quite work that way.
>
> I connected the Seagate 40 Gig drive to the IDE interface on the CompUSA
> carrier, then connected via a USB port to both my Win2K laptop and my SuSE
> 9.0 desktop. Neither saw the hard drive.
>
> To start trouble-shooting, would I yank the drive out of the USB carrier and
> pop it in the desktop for kicks and grins? Where would I start to make sure
> the disk drive is good?

Not a hardware expert by a long shot, but I certainly would confirm the HD
is good in a desktop. I'd also try a second (known good) HD in the usb
carrier, preferably a HD with a good filesystem on it. I suspect the pair
of tests may give you enough information to start further testing.

FWIW, did usbview show up anything when you attached the carrier/HD?
Another data point obviously.