[ale] OT: Goodbye Bellsouth, Hello Speedfactory!

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Mon Aug 23 23:14:08 EDT 2004

Just wanted to relay this (especially to anyone still considering
dropping Bellsouth as your dsl provider):

Tonight, as expected, my DSL quit working at about 10:30pm. It seems
that the process of switching providers was underway. Speedfactory told
me to expect it to work by morning, so I configured my trusty Linksys
with my new PPPoE username and password, and figured I'd check on it
later on tonight, just to see.

Of course, I didn't tell my wife this had happened, so by about 10:35, I
  got a spousal tech support call (ie, a scream up from downstairs:
"Mike, the DSL seems to be out"). As I'm ambling down from upstairs, I
hear, "nevermind, it works now"? Huh, what, already?

Yep, only about 10 minutes of downtime, 15 if you count the time I had
to take to update my DNS records, etc. Pretty slick if you ask me.

Now, tomorrow or the next day I'll have to call to see if Bellsouth has
    stopped billing me for DSL, see if I can pare down my phone service
to something cheaper than complete choice, etc.

Mike

--

Mike Murphy
Email: mike at tyderia.net