[ale] [semi OT] No CIFS data

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Aug 23 20:46:33 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 20:24, Chris Coleman wrote:
> Yes this should work with only TCP/IP installed. We do it all the time. How
> are the Windows nodes configured? I mean are they configured to look for a
> WINS server or to send broadcast messages? I'm not sure of the exact
> terminology: B-nodes, H-nodes or something like that.
>
> Just thinking out loud.  Can you use find computer to locate a share on a
> machine by name or IP?

I'll double check the "find computer" tomorrow when I get back at them.
I did note that the machine names are truncated in places as they are
rather long.

The nodes are set to be simple, non-domain workgroup machines. The
registry settings indicate none are to be master browser. Prior to my
arrival, a win 2003 AD server had been "setup" and nothing on the
network has worked right since. That machine is now a nice Fedora box :)
At least I solved one problem today :)

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>