[ale] Interface dropping packets, how to fix safely?

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Mon Aug 23 19:59:54 EDT 2004

Dow Hurst <Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com> writes:

> A "sync;init6" fixes the problem immediately.  With hardly any traffic

I wonder if "ifconfig ethN down;ifconfig ethN up" would fix the problem
equally well? Maybe with an "modprobe -r <NIC module>" in between?

> for a couple of days after the long transfer that caused the problem,
> it still was painfully erratic and slow.  The reboot fixed the problem
> and the interface is fast again.

Possibly a driver bug :-(  (But I am totally shooting in the dark there.)

-- Joe

--
"We sat and watched as this whole       <-- (Died Pretty -- "Springenfall")
 blue sky turned to black..."