[ale] Bellsouth's POTS fees...

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Sat Aug 21 12:17:58 EDT 2004

Jay Finch wrote:
[snip...]
> Hokey Smokes Batman! I can't wait until "Dry Copper" can be used for
> DSL. (Especially since my local Cable Monopoly refuses to wire my
> subdivision. (The builder didn't have them do it when they built the
> houses, and they refuse to do it without getting paid by the HOA.))

FWIW: my HOA just went through the same thing. When we moved in, no
connection to the cable company. I'd be dubious about claims about who's
at fault either way.

At any rate, in most jursidictions, your HOA has recourse. The best
measure is to contact your local franchising authority. For us (City of
Atlanta -- Fulton County), there is a "universal service provision",
which means that the cable company has to service every residential
address. They have some recourse for what they have and don't have to
pay for (for instance, landscaping isn't their problem, I believe, but
filling in the trenches they've dug are). In fact, I understand that
many local franchising laws have provisions for forced arbitration in
cases such as these, *and* there may be requirements of builders to run
those lines in your community, in which case the builder may be on the
hook for some or all the costs of wiring your community.

Its worth getting fixed. Not having all utilities will hurt resale for
everyone.

Mike

--

Mike Murphy