[ale] Special Place in Hell Reserved for BellSouth

Vincent Fox vf5 at plm.gatech.edu
Sat Aug 21 10:26:13 EDT 2004

My experiences with SpeakEasy have always been good.

However, they are at the mercy of B$ which seems to drag it's feet.

Our story:

Have existing SpeakEasy DSL service. Low ping times to everywhere, fast
and we use their NetShare service to resell WiFi service. Happy enough.

We at http://homeparkwifi.net decide to try Naked DSL, put in the order.

B$ drags it's feet on the line install.

When pushed we eventually get the excuse back that the DSL
order cannot be fulfilled, as we have fiber to the house so
only IDSL service can be offered. The B$ claim is that without
copper they can only do IDSL 144K so order cancelled.

WTF???

The existing 2 meg service is running over what? Must be copper
or it wouldn't be possible to have the connection I am typing this
email on right now. Why can't they use that pair if there
is some claim of problems running a new line? I am guessing this
is total B$ BS. If it's not just plain old incompetence.

My mistake was probably being here when the line guy was doing the
outside prep work and commenting we were cancelling our voice
service altogether, that I personally had gone several years without
one at my previous house and it was the wave of the future. It will
cut into their profits if everyone starts cancelling voice so that
is most likely scaring them into unofficial obstructionism.