[ale] Video Editing ala Adobe Premier

aaron aaron at pd.org
Wed Aug 18 23:59:12 EDT 2004

I've been doing the media work you describe on Mac OSeX for quite a while and
highly recommend the scaled down FCP, Final Cut Express for DV editing.  I've
been exploring Linux media production options, but haven't run across
anything that is even sophisticated enough to compete with iMovie, the free
DV editing software that is bundled with Mac OSeX (along iDVD and the new
Garage Band).  For DVD authoring and burning, the iDVD app supports
reasonable customization options  and can automagically generate a basic menu
structure based on markers in the QuickTime source file.

My experience with Adobe Premiere that it is a really miserable excuse for a
Video editing program and should be avoided like the plague. General buzz is
that the only version worth looking at is the latest high end release, and
for the license cost you'll pay to run that under a criminal M$OS you're at
least half way to owning a new OSeX / FreeBSD / X11 eMac with capable,
integrated DV editing and DVD authoring software already installed.

Anyway, that's the route I settled on about 3 weeks ago when I joined the two
media production companies I work for and bought myself an eMac.  I love
running the Gimp and Open Office and Xterm next to iTunes and QuickTime and
FCX and iDVD!  :-)

peace
aaron