[ale] If you're on Bellsouth DSL, I recommend changing providers.

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Wed Aug 18 16:30:01 EDT 2004

As I was cleaning up my firewall configuration after this, I realized I
was forwarding to the wrong host at home. Indeed, of the examples below,
only 587 is blocked, so I apologize if much of the preceding email is
hyperbolic. My personal preference for a more complete explanation and
advanced notice of this change from my provider still stands, however.

Mike Murphy wrote:
> incoming 587 is blocked. outgoing 587 is not. It is true that I could
> run it on another port, but which one? A few quick tries on 5 random
> incoming ports reveals:
>
> 26    blocked
> 1587  blocked
> 8587  blocked
> 87    blocked
> 31456 blocked
>
> This is the thing: a lot of people here and elsewhere have written
> things to the effect of "they cut off outbound port 25? Good!". Well,
> they haven't just cut off outbound port 25, they have cut off almost all
> inbound ports. Not just those known for security issues, like 139
> (netbios), but pretty much everything but 22, 143, 80 and 993. (And I'm
> really surprised those are still on too at this point). And there is
> still be no official notification nor documentation of any of this from
> them, except for the document on their website about what they term
> "port 25 filtering".
>
> Bellsouth Apologists want to chock this up as an issue about people
> violating their AUP. If its a simple matter of the AUP, why can't
> Bellsouth just throw up a document that says "sorry, we blocked pretty
> much every inbound port for your safety. If anyone was using those,
> tough, its a violation of the AUP", and let all of us that care decide
> to jump ship. Even better would be a gracious "we want to keep as much
> of your business as possible" policy of releasing anyone who wants out
> out of their contract. Otherwise, I'd say they run the risk of losing
> more revenue from the services that drive profits for them, like long
> distance and "complete choice".
>

> michael d. ivey wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 03:06:49PM -0400, Mike Murphy wrote:
>>
>>> Just tried it again to make sure I wasn't crazy, and 587 is blocked as
>>> well.
>>

>> Incoming or outgoing?
>>
>> You can run SMTP or SMTP AUTH on an alternate port, if you had to.

Mike Murphy
781 Inman Mews Drive Atlanta GA 30307
Landline: 404-653-1070
Mobile: 404-545-6234