[ale] If you're on Bellsouth DSL, I recommend changing providers.

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Aug 18 09:26:20 EDT 2004

I guess it just doesn't sink in that the block port 25 is a good thing.
Everyone who is affected by this is on a home user DSL account which has
fine print that prohibits running _any_ servers at all.

This is a good thing.

Most (99+%) of computer users are not competent enough to set up the
basic machine properly, much less properly administer a server in an
ever more hostile environment.

Besides, all that one must do is setup the correct "SmartHost" flag in
sendmail and email should flow properly from the local server to the
bellsouth mail server where it is allowed to pass outside Bellsouth IP
space.

To _really_ do it right, networking needs to be established prior to
sendmail startup. Now the IP address can be mapped against the Bellsouth
provided client name. That name gets script entered into sendmail.cf as
the mail server name and get entered into the hosts file for local use.
Now when BS smtp servers receive email to route, it is coming from a BS
IP address that is properly identified as a BS namespace machine in the
server headers.

It is also possible to use pop3 account access authentication before
sending mail with sendmail as well. This will further authenticate the
machine has being allowed to send mail.

But I _do_ recommend switching to Speakeasy or Speedfactory anyway if
the desire is to run one's own server farm.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>