[ale] Is it possible to force Linux to reread a drives gemoetry?

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 18 07:34:32 EDT 2004

I am messing around with some (brute force) hot swap, and I can get the swapping done
and it re reads the ptable correctly if I force it to, but it will not re read the geometry
which is causing some (maybe harmless) error messages saying its trying to access
a non existant block when it rereads the partition table.  Does anyone know of a way
to force linux to re read an IDE drives C,H,S (geometry)?  I have tried all the obvious
hdparm commands...  I wish it would just do it when a bus reset occured, that would
make things easy.  Anyone know why this is not done?

Thanks,
Mike