[ale] Local electric/datacom supply retail stores?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Aug 14 16:29:55 EDT 2004

Home Depot & MicroCenter. Lowes has stuff as well but they carry
non-standard plugs and sockets.

Cat6 cable can be found at MicroCenter often, Home Depot never, and
Greybar always. Greybar is a large commercial electrical supply house.
They will not be the least expensive but thy will have it in stock.

Price on cable varies depending on application. Cat5e riser is $45/1k'.
Cat5e plenum is $120/1k'. Cat6 riser is around $80/1k' and $225/1k'
plenum. The cost of the plugs and sockets is about double that of cat5e.

The wiring scheme is the same for cat6 and cat5 but the tolerances are a
lot tighter on untwisted end lengths. When cat6 says 3/8" untwisted,
THEY MEAN IT! So 3/8" from the last end of the last full twist to the
punch down connector.

Cat5e will handle gigabit ethernet. Cat6 will do 10 gigabit. As the
cards that can do 10Gb are still in the $1k+ range, cat5e will do just
fine!