[ale] FC2 install quickies

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Aug 13 12:43:33 EDT 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, bim wrote:

> t,
>
> What did not work correctly? Would you mind expanding
> on the "disk/machine combo" with a mobo spec, etc.,?
> It would help us "in advance."  Also-
> model of Nvidia card, etc.
> Your question seems interesting, but even Inspector
> Cleusau would need more than this...

Inspector Cleusau will have trouble with me _every_ time I get that
obscure. My deepest appologies, because I wasn't thinking at all clearly.

What _didn't_ work at all was the sound cards; one a via based chipset on
the motherboard, the other a PCI card. I was overlooking the obvious and
simplest possible solution to a computer conflict - pull one of the
offenders out of the way! (After 20 minutes on the web I had to go and
remember that solution - I am feeling deeply embarrassed about this) I
killed the via chipset by way of the bios - and everything works lovely.

Now, it would be just lovely if somewhere on the web a HOW-TO exists which
addresses manually configuring sound card(s) when the hardware probing
doesn't work quite as expected, or not at all. I'll be working on that for
some time I suspect.

The comment with respect to the NVidia card was intended as a throwaway -
just in case something had changed in a big way with respect to these
cards and Linux and people on this list had heard of it. After obtaining
the appropriate driver from NVidia, installing it, and testing the 3-D
acceleration stuff, This subsystem works and appears to work well.

Again, my appologies to the group for an unusually obscure request.