[ale] From Dual Boot to Linux only

Josh Freeman josh at catea.org
Fri Aug 13 10:23:12 EDT 2004

I would recommend against autofs. I would edit your /etc/fstab file and
add in the new partition. For the sake of argument, let's assume your XP
drive is the primary slave. (/dev/hdb)

First, you will need to fdisk (possibly) and format(definitely) the
partition

fdisk /dev/hdb

fdisk isn't exceptionally user friendly, but follow the menus and you
should be okay.

next format the partition

mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hdb1

You will need to add the following (or similar) line into your
/etc/fstab file:

/dev/hdb1       /media   ext3    defaults        0 2

Grub won't freak unless you try to boot the nonexistent XP partition.
Edit your grub.conf or menu.lst (one is a symlink to the other,
somtimes) file in /boot/grub and  remove the XP lines, and you should be
okay.

Josh

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 10:11, John Clark wrote:
> I have a dual boot machine with Redhat 9 and XP. I want to format the XP
> side for linux as a second monster disk for mp3 files (a local iTunes
> server). Are there any gotchas I should watch for when doing this? (ie:
> Will grub freak out if the XP drive goes away?)
>
> I assume there is a way to make the second disk mount at startup. Is
> autofs what I am looking for?
>
> A gentle shove in the right direction would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Josh Freeman
Technical Manager
Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access