[ale] Speedfactory upgrade

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Aug 7 11:07:22 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 08:53, Geoffrey wrote:
> James Taylor wrote:
> > I transferred to speedfactory about a month ago, and it's been mostly
> > satisfactory.  I've had a one hour outage which seemed to have been a
> > Bell back end maintenance problem.
> >
> > I have been a little concerned that I've had outages during
> > thunderstorms when my power blinks.  I've got all the equipment on UPS,
> > but in the lightning storms we've had lately, there have been a couple
> > of times when it's taken 5-10 minutes for the DSL modem to reconnect.
>
> Wierd.  I've got all my hardware behind ups's as well.  There's been
> some nasty storms of late, but I've never had any weather related outages.
>
> You didn't have these problems prior to the move to Speedfactory?

I have similar disruptions with my DSL from Speakeasy. If the atmosphere
is highly charged, the sync has a tendency to go out. I have tracked
this issue through 3 different DSL carriers (BellSouth, Speakeasy and
Eathlink). The SDSL connection would remain intact while the ADSL would
fail. Apparently, the ADSL sync is more fragile and disruptible than the
SDSL. Just as the higher frequency signal tends to bleed out of the low
quality twisted pair wires feeding my house, it seems that the broad
spectrum emissions from lightning can bleed in.

I have an X10 device on my dsl modem and a cron job that pings my
upstream router. When I get no response, I reset the modem with the X10
power socket.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>