[ale] CD-bootable distro (besides Knoppix)?

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Thu Aug 5 17:38:27 EDT 2004

Fulton Green wrote:
> I'm fishing around for a distro that can simply run off of a
> CD.  I know
> about Knoppix, but it seems too KDE-centric for my tastes,
> and unless they
> haven't bothered to update the documentation, it's still using a 2.4
> kernel.

Knoppix 3.4 gives you the option of 2.4 or 2.6.  look at bootup with the F2/F3 keys.

on my dual Xeon i do:
knoppix nodma desktop=fluxbox

dma seems to hang my system

> Does anyone on here have opinions on other CD-bootable
> distros, Linux or otherwise?

Morphix, Mepis, Featherlinux, Kanotix (Debian Sid!!!), Damn Small Linux, Debian-NP, Gnoppix (Gnome instead of KDE), Gentoo, NetBSD Live, Basilisk, GNUstep

oh, and Barnix.  it's Knoppix based and uses XPde for the default environment.
(been following XPde, so this interests me)

hmm, maybe you should head over to www.knoppix.net and check out their page on Knoppix variants.

> Also, has anyone heard of any projects to create a
> Fedora-like CD-bootable distro?

look at http://www.fedora.us/wiki/LiveCD

and this was the "abbreviated" list ;)

Preston