[ale] Linux/OSS Learning Center

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Mon Aug 2 23:00:44 EDT 2004

I'd be interested in more detail about the cost of the space and how it
would be funded.  But it sounds interesting.
-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
Voice - 770-874-0872
Fax    - 678-623-8002
Cell    - 678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

>>>pairoftwins at mindspring.com 08/02/04 10:57 pm >>>
Anyone like to help create such a thing?

I've got a shot at inexpensive office space not far from I-85 near
Buckhead.  The idea is a place where students of all ages could pay a
few bucks and have their way with a room full of PCs, software, books,
etc.  Install it, configure it, wipe it out and start over again.  Also
network some together, add web servers, FTP, etc.  Socialize and learn.
Remember pizza night at the Linux General Store?

Perhaps one night a week we'd have use of a 10' x 18' room with
broadband access.  Lots of PCs on rolling carts would make
setup/teardown easy.

What else could there be?

* a lending library of books, magazines, CDs
* a pile of instruction sheets ( image this drive to one of those boxes,
then follow the instructions and see how it goes)
* cheap snacks
* used equipment on consignment

So, who'd like to provide talent, advice, materials, hand-holding...

Thanks!

Tom Younker

Ale mailing list
Ale at ale.org