[ale] flash memory device wierdness

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Mon Aug 2 02:33:18 EDT 2004

"J.M. Taylor" <jtaylor at onlinea.com> writes:

> Look - on topic and hopefully not flamebait!! ;)
>
> I bought a new toy - Memorex MMP8500 flash memory based mp3 player thingy.
> Bought it primarily on the assurance of someone here that it works with
> linux (forgot your name, but thanks muchly!).  And indeed it does. I can
> mount it and its little expansion card and I can write to said drives from
> my trusty RH 7.3 box.  And when I umount, it takes awhile (usb 1.1) to
> sync, and then I can remount and see all the files I just put on there,
> plus all the files from the last time I put songs on.
>
> Then when I turn the little blighter on in play-music mode, it only shows
> the new stuff I copied and has actually erased all the old songs (that
> were sitting there on the drive when last I looked).  So basically I
> either have to put 128mb of songs on all at once (which would be fine, but
> it doesn't seem to like this either and refuses to copy anything) or just
> forget it.
>
> For whatever reason, dragging and dropping in windows works, but only to
> the main drive.  So I don't think it's the device.  Windows appears to not
> wait to transfer data, and I'm wondering if somehow this could be the
> issue? (sounds like voodoo to me...shouldn't matter whether it copies
> immediately or waits till umount)
>
> Specs: 128mb built-in flash drive (unknown exactly what media) and 128mb
> SD/MMC card for expansion.  FAT16 fs, apparently.  mount -tmsdos /dev/sda1
> /mnt/mp3 to mount it.  Its big claim to fame is that it mounts as a
> mass storage device and doesn't require any software to sync up
> between PC and device.  Anybody got any clue why it would behave this way
> and if doing sync or something similar before umount would help?  I've
> no clue what the thing is doing when it starts itself up to play
> music...presumably reading the files and queuing them up to be played.

You might try mounting with "-o sync" ("make all writes to the filesystem
synchronous"). I'm not certain that will work, but it's worth a try.
You're correct that it *shouldn't* matter whether writes are done
immediately or at umount-time, I think; but nothing's perfect.

Cheers,

-- Joe

--
"We sat and watched as this whole       <-- (Died Pretty -- "Springenfall")
 blue sky turned to black..."