[ale] OT: Well it is going to hit the list sooner or later.

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Sun Aug 1 18:52:10 EDT 2004

>Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 10:24:44 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "J.M. Taylor" <jtaylor at onlinea.com>
>To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
>Subject: Re: [ale] OT: Well  it is going to hit the list sooner or later.
>
>My interpretation of the SAGE code of ethics is the following: I do not
>read people's emails, even tho it is within my power.  I do not spy on
>people, even tho it is within my power and in many cases may prove their
>misdeeds.  I do not collect data on people's misdeeds even tho these
>people may be harming me on the job.  I do not make these decisions.  I
>just run the server.

Aaaaaa-MEN!  (Yes, I'm a member of both Usenix & SAGE)

[...snippage...]

>And yes, if my boss told me to gather data about someone that I knew was
>goofing off all day but wouldn't give me the signed letter, I would refuse
>to do it even if it meant my job.  That's how strongly I feel about the
>importance of my integrity in what I do.  It's also just CYA -- when the
>fit hits the shan and it's my word against my boss's about who ordered
>collecting the data....no way am I going to get involved in that.  I'm
>not completely stupid.

Have almost been in this situation before, and resigned.  {sigh}

[...more snippage...]

>Jenn
></end moral high horse>

No moral high horse, it's The Right Thing, especially wrt the SAGE
Code of Ethics.

-kc