[ale] Microsoft strikes again

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Fri Apr 30 15:51:55 EDT 2004

Geoffrey wrote:
: I was doing a bit of searching for anti-virus software that runs on
: Linux and found the following:
:
: "Due to the acquisition of RAV's IPR (Intellectual Property
: Rights) by
: Microsoft Corp., GeCAD Software SRL is currently engaged in a
: strategic reorganization of its operations, which includes scaling
: down and discontinuation of its anti-virus related business. More
: details at: http://www.ravantivirus.com/pages/shownews.php?i=153 .
:
: As part of this process please be informed that RAV AntiVirus online
: and direct sales ceased September 3rd, 2003."
:
I remember when this happened.  Speculation at the time was twofold: 1) M$ was acquiring and removing Linux based "obstacles" from it's projected market 2) M$ now has the ability to offer native virus protection in its next release (possibly Longhorn?) effectively cutting out the need for Norton/McAffee.  This would also be seen as a leveraging point with M$ virus backlash in the press ("this would not have happened if <company in question> had kept their M$ VirusScan up-to-date")

Mainly I remember how remarks were pointing to RAV with their apparent ease of being bought out...

Preston