[ale] Mirrors

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Apr 29 19:51:19 EDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 02:31:51PM -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 13:36, Robert L. Harris wrote:
>
> > knoppix (Should be good)
>
> I tried to use Knoppix about a year ago.
>
> I could not get root access.  (ie. No root password, and su required the
> unknown password).

That was the 3.2 version. BTW sudo did give you root access on that version.

> Is that the way it still is?

Nope. su now works as advertised. No password required.

> I have been using the penguin-slueth CD instead.  It is based on
> Knoppix, but su does not even ask for a password.  Much nicer if you
> need to access the internal drives, etc.

It's fixed. I'm waiting with baited breath for the 3.4 version which should
be online soon. OO.org 1.1.1 and a 2.6 kernel are on tap along with a system
to finally allow for package installation with the CD/ramdisk version.

The only item that will be potentially missing is NTFS integration. At
minimum  there should be some way for Knoppix to use some of the NTFS file
space. That along with a NTFS capable grub bootloader should get a lot of
Knoppix semipermanent dual boot installations on machines that for whatever
reason cannot be repartitioned.

BAJ