[ale] IPCop alternative?

Steve Tynor tynor at iintiip.com
Thu Apr 29 12:35:44 EDT 2004

Geoffrey wrote:

| John Wells wrote:
| > I'm having probs with ipcop and linux pptp sessions.  After some rather
| You mentioned Smoothwall already, but it's so easy to drop in place, I'd
| go that route.  Then again, I believe ipcop is a fork of smoothwall,
| therefore, it's not like a complete replacement..

FWIW, I was a long time and happy Smoothwall user until I had need to
use PPTP to connect to VPN servers.  Smoothwall will tolerate one PPTP
connection, but gets very confused if you attempt to connect more then
one PPTP client to a remote server.  I did not have time to try to
install custom kernel modules and play iptable games, so I elected to
replace my smoothie with a Netgear FVS318 router.  Works great.  I gave
up some features (port forwarding on the Netgear can not use different
port numbers on the RED and GREEN interfaces, and I've had to install an
internal DNS server instead of being able to use Smoothwall's /etc/host
based DNS proxy), but it worked fine out of the box with about 5 minutes
of configurationq.  About $100 street price.

Steve