[ale] Organizing data

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Wed Apr 28 11:10:43 EDT 2004

I just recently tried writing some Python recently and, since I was
heavily dependent on a book I bought some time ago, one of the things I
came across in there was a statement to the effect of "if you want to
write procedurally in Python, you can, but it's meant to be an OO
language."

I'm old-school, so procedurally is how I'd tend to write.  What I was
writing was a utility to take a CSV text file and make HTML from it.
You'd invoke it with <utilityname.py> <inputfilename>
[<outputfilename>].  If you didn't supply an outputfilename, it would
make one for you and if you didn't supply any arguments at all or if the
input file wasn't found, it would make an error message and exit.

What I found myself doing is bracketing pretty much the whole thing in
an exception dealing with the no-argument case. I got all of this to
work but I had to wonder if I was doing it screwed-up in part because I
wasn't using an OO approach.

- Jeff